Thursday, April 21, 2011

Postcard from August




Created for Michelle in an effort to convince her to walk the Wildwood Trail in August instead of July.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

OK, I have checked my calendar, ma cherie.

My friend Erica is getting married on the 16th, so I definitely can't do it that day.

BUT, oh August, lovely, lovely August. Let me tell you about August:

August is beautiful that time of year.

The trees are out, it's not too hot because we're in the woods, which are always slightly cooler. Everyone's happy and relaxed because it's lovely that time of year. The color palette for August is a deep saffron umber with distinct shades of lily green and egg shell white.

Early August hints with bits of 31st of July, which works well for me-- that transcendence-maya-phase, from one month to the next, both there, both not completely real-- yes, that day works well. The August days of 14, 20, 21 are all splendid, splendid, splendid affairs, offered from the Gods of August to our hiking shoes and feet.

I have a friend who named her son August.

August 15th is the celebration of the last two weeks of summer, the middle of vacation month in the Mediterranean, and it's when all of the soft-serve, homemade ice-cream and hamburger joints have their little windows open at the side of the restaurant, and you can walk up and order a towering vanilla ice-cream and a drink, and sit in the sun and listen to the cicadas. August, oh sweet, sweet August.

I brought you this postcard from August.

It has my vote. I'll always vote for August. And I'll second its running mate, Mrs. July 31st.

No comments:

Post a Comment