Friday, July 1, 2011

The Creative Comment Box

Check out Slow Like Honey's comment box:



When I designed comment boxes like this, I always thought they were too elementary and it showed that I didn't know how to design. Seeing Slow Like Honey's comment boxes, though, not only transported me to the past but has reawakened my sense of the comment, or of online forms, in general. Why do the boxes have to be "clear" or "white" and look like general forms? Why can't they look entirely different? Slow Like Honey's comment box actually looks really good and balanced with the rest of the page / theme of the site, btw.

Looking up "Creative Comment Box" only brought up one list via Google, and even that list isn't that good. They're all "boxy" and bulky and not very creative at all-- they're all reiterations of the same thing. Is there any way that we can make comment boxes look different? I'm thinking tabs, different shapes, voice recognition, all sorts of things. Of course, some of these examples might create more steps but perhaps more steps are WORTH IT.

What is wrong with incorporating more steps? As long as it doesn't get dizzy or too involved, I think that we're allowed to create just a tad more adjustments for the user. I don't want to say "work" because that should be kept to a minimum. I don't know why, but this is reminding me of this winery website I once saw (can't remember what it was now) but the main page was this circular map and, as the user hovered over different parts, the whole map would turn to the left or right. It was very confusing, hard to follow, and generally a headache. So I'm not saying to go "so creative" that it fails and becomes confusing and a pain. But maybe I'm saying to go even more creative and to come up with a plausible solution that's clear, concise, and different.

Can you do that? Do you know of any creative comment boxes? If so, please share, and I will continue to keep my eyes open for them and think about how I might create an interesting and new type of comment box.

No comments:

Post a Comment