Monday, August 15, 2011

Love to Write


I just thought, "I would love to be writing in my blog right now..." and, instead of doing something else more 'productive', this is it. This is productive. It's about aligning your life.

Today I listened to Anything You Want, 40 Lessons From a New Kind of Entrepreneur, by Derek Sivers, who created CD Baby. The books is packed with amazing advice, like the Hell Yeah! factor: don't do anything unless it makes you go, "Hell, yeah!" That's your indication that whatever you're doing is worth it.

He also reminded me that you should do something to BE something, or someone. As in, don't do it for the result, do it for the incarnation. Like, I am a writer. So I write. I write because I am a writer and, to be a writer, I must write. For some reason, this focus on being, and on doing to be, provides the space and freedom to do it without any expectations. Just doing it to be... lets you do it.

I'm driving down to CA on a long road, and have stopped in Ashland for a little bit of beauty on this long, dull trip that I know so well. I was going to cross over to Highway 101-- and there's my lesson. That would have been a Hell, Yeah! moment, whereas this ten-hour drive down I-5 is a watery "done it". My focus right now is the ocean. I need to get back to it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ P ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment